2021 Juried Dream Art Exhibition
Held in conjunction with the 2021 annual conference of the International Association for the Study of Dreams
In order to ensure the safety of our attendees and avoid the risk of once again having to cancel our conference due to ongoing pandemic conditions, IASD has decided to hold the full 5-day conference virtually. This not only ensures the safety of participants but increases global access to the full event at a greatly reduced cost. For this reason, the Dream Art Exhibit will be held virtually online as was done in 2020. We will also hold a virtual Art Reception during the conference on Zoom where attendees will have a chance to meet the artists and artists given the chance to display a piece of their art behind them as a virtual background.
DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES: Midnight March 15, 2021, GMT
Eligibility: We are accepting original art work about or inspired by dreams.* You do not need to be a member of IASD or a conference attendee to participate in the IASD Juried Dream Art Exhibition.
*The jurors will be open-minded about the relationship of the artwork to dream content when selecting the art pieces, as long as the work was inspired in some fashion by visionary or emotional experiences that occurred during sleep. Note: an entrant can create a piece inspired by someone else’s dream.
Media: All two-dimensional and multi-dimensional media will be considered, including painting, drawing, collage, sculpture, video, and installation art.
We are not able to accept performance art. Performance artists may wish to consider submitting a proposal for a special event for the conference program (https://iasdconferences.org/2021/call-for-presentations/). Note that the deadline for these submissions has passed but you may be placed on a wait list if you submit before 15 March 2021.
Criteria considered by the jury in reviewing entries for the exhibition will include:
- Professional quality.
- Relation to dreams or dreaming. If the art was not inspired directly from a dream of the artist or other person that occurred during sleep, you will need to include documentation to show how the art is directly related to such dreams.
- Completeness and quality of supporting documents. Incomplete documentation or vague, unclear statements may disqualify an entry.
- Quality of digital files. Out of focus, poorly composed or difficult to see images will be rejected.
- Artwork that is deemed by the jurors to be offensive, discriminatory, or in bad taste may be refused.
All work accepted for the show will be added to the IASD online dream art galleries, unless you specifically request that we not do so.
HOW TO ENTER: All works must be submitted using the Online Entry Form.
- Click here to Review (or Download) a copy of the Sample Online Entry Form in Word format. We recommend you review the information required on this document before going to the actual online entry form.
- Click here to go to the Online Entry Form and submit your works.
Be sure to fill in all required fields and make sure to press the Submit button at the end. You will immediately receive a confirmation email.
Entry requirements and general information:
- General information requested on entry form:
- Contact information.
- A biographical sketch.
- Artist statement – describe how your work is dream-related; if the art was not inspired directly from a dream of the artist or other person that occurred during sleep, include documentation to show how the art is directly related to such dreams.
- Special requirements noted if necessary.
- Each artist may submit up to 5 art pieces (multiple views or details of the same piece are acceptable where appropriate). Provision is made on the form for two additional detail images for specific pieces.
- Art submission information:
- Size of work (height x width in inches).
- Medium or media (if mixed) used for each piece.
- Price in US dollars and your contact information for the buyer if for sale.
- Image requirements:
- Files should be in JPEG format only.
- Images should display in the proper orientation, with resolution set at 72 dpi and sized to open no larger than 8” x 10”.
- The maximum total file size is 1 Megabyte per image.
- Artists are requested to compress individual JPEG files to a maximum per images sized at 1024 pixels vertical x 768 pixels horizontal (or) 768 pixels x 1024 pixels for vertical) at 72 dpi.
- Image file names should include the artist’s name and an image number (e.g. “Smith1,” Smith1detail”, “Smith2,” etc.”).
- Video entry requirements:
- If possible, please include one to five representative images in JPEG format.
- Provide the link to where the entire video can be viewed by the judges and attendees (e.g., YouTube).
Notification of Jury’s Decision:
The jury will review all submitted works soon after the due date.
It is planned that all acceptance notifications will be sent by email by the end of March 2021 for you to take advantage of the conference early registration discount deadline of 15 May 2021.
If your work is selected by the jury for display, there is a NON-REFUNDABLE exhibition fee of $25 per artist. You will be advised at the time how to pay this fee.
This fee is waived for artists who have registered for the conference. Conference registration is not required for the art submission, but if you wish to register for the conference, please go to the conference main page
http://iasdconferences.org/2021/registration/ and click on the Registration link.
Membership in IASD is not required. However, for membership information, check the IASD web site (www.asdreams.org).
Questions? Please contact the Conference Visual Art Committee at this address: email@example.com (Subject line: IASD Conference Art Entry Questions)
The deadline for entries is midnight, Monday, March 15, 2021, GMT
Thank you for your interest in this IASD Juried Dream Art Exhibition. We look forward to sharing with you in this creative experience.